AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Fastener Failure Investigations
- Technical Sales & Marketing
- Fastener Engineering — All Disciplines
- Quality Assurance Systems
FASTENER CONSULTING SERVICES, Cleveland, Ohio, 2001–Present
Services include litigation support, failure investigations / analysis
/ solutions, application engineering, import source development,
conflict resolution, manufacturing engineering, and market
SPS TECHNOLOGIES, UNBRAKO® NA, Cleveland, Ohio, 1998-2001
Director of Engineering
Responsible for all technical and quality activities for Unbrako® standard
products, as well as the Engineered Fasteners Group. This
multi-national organization, one of the largest fastener companies
in the world, is the accepted leader in precision fasteners
with 2000 annual sales of $872,752,000.
- Led teams that produced annualized cost savings in excess of $1,000,000
- Directed the implementation of state-of-the-art laser product measuring
machines with SPC.
- Created "The Nine Advantages of Unbrako" printed literature and PowerPoint® presentation.
- Personal engineered fastener sales were more than $1,000,000 the first
half of 2000.
FASTENER CONSULTING SERVICES, Cleveland, Ohio, 1997-1998
Overall responsibility for this consulting firm serving manufacturers,
distributors, and end users.
- Developed "Basic Training," a PowerPoint® presentation,
and also made-to-order seminars.
- Began a marketing and sales program for Tamper
Resistant Lab Report Paper™.
- Developed the self-auditing system, Fastener Quality Act Preparation
FASTENER CORPORATION OF AMERICA, Cleveland, Ohio, 1996-1997
Daily operations responsibility for this 21 year-old distributor primarily
serving OEM assembly lines.
- Modified and documented work procedures to enhance employee
- Conducted in-depth fastener training classes for all employees.
SKN MANUFACTURING, Cleveland, Ohio, 1995-1996
Turn-around responsibility for this 18-employee company, nine year-old
manufacturer, specializing in difficult, cold formed fasteners.
SKN serves the automotive after-market and industrial marketplace.
- More than doubled company sales in less than one year with
personal sales/marketing efforts.
- Developed an entirely new company image, including literature, letterhead,
trade show booth, etc.
- Built the staff to run two production shifts in order to accommodate
the increased sales.
- Improved tool design, tool manufacturing and process engineering functions.
BOWMAN DISTRIBUTION, Cleveland, Ohio, 1981-1995
Manager, Quality and Engineering
Directed a team of 12 to provide engineering services and product quality
assessments for this, the world's largest direct-to-user distributor
of maintenance and repair products. A customer base of over
60,000, and with 1994 sales of more than $215,000,000. Fasteners
were 50% of the business.
- Created state-of-the-art Product Technical Help Center
- Designed the high-strength Bowmalloy® Fastener System.
- Achieved ISO 9003 Quality System Registration.
- Created two in-house test labs for product assessments and fastener
- Was granted four United States patents through inventing a fastener
system for railroad tracks. (These are the only patents in
Bowman's history — since 1927.)
- Used engineering and sales skills to open or grow the following accounts:
CSX Transportation, Allied Signal Aerospace, Altec Industries,
CNW Railroad, Exxon, Goodyear, United Airlines, Walt Disney
World, General Electric, Kenetech / Windpower, Six Flags
Amusements, Pratt & Whitney, Sandia National Laboratories,
and several others.
- Wrote and produced videos, brochures, catalogs, and other aids to benefit
the sales department.
- Trained thousands of people throughout the country in fastener technology
and application skills.
- Started a joint venture trading company in Osaka, Japan, Archer Company,
and while doing so, evaluated over 100 fastener manufacturers
in Taiwan and Japan for their capabilities.
LAMSON & SESSIONS, Cleveland, Ohio, 1972-1981
Manager, Manufacturing Engineering
Directed all engineering functions including Product Engineering, Industrial
Engineering, Tool Design, Process Engineering, Cost Estimating
and Pricing — a staff of 20. Specified the operations for all
fasteners manufactured at this plant, the largest in the world,
and one of nine in the Lamson group. Led staff members to troubleshoot
plant production problems, with 486 production machines within
a 1,000,000 sq. ft. facility.
- Directed the design and manufacturing development of many
different specialty fasteners.
- Extensive experience with critical engine, suspension, safety, and
- Team member who perfected the L9® Fastening System and the Unidrive® fastening
- Coordinated becoming an applicator of Loctite Dri-Loc® Thread Locking
- Developed methods to implement automotive OEM Safety Critical Programs
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Max Hayes Trade School (Tool Design, Machine Shop)
- Cleveland State University (Mechanical Engineering)
- Ernst & Young's Total Quality Management Development
- Numerous Professional Seminars
- Interactive Management®
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Technical Writer for Fastener World magazine, Taiwan
- Columnist and Technical Writer for Fastener Technology
International magazine, creating the "Fastener Failure Workshop" and their
- Have conducted well over 200 fastener training seminars throughout
the United States.
- American Society for Quality
- American Society for Testing and Materials, F16 Fasteners, F24 Amusement Rides & Devices and E58 Forensic Engineering
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers, B18 Fastener Standards Committee
- ASM International (FKA American Society for Metals)
- Bolting Technology Council (ASTM F16.96)
- N.A.A.R.S.O. (National Association of Amusement Ride Safety Officers)
- National Association of Corrosion Engineers